Fundraising as a Career: What, Are You Crazy?
Fundraising is one of the hottest careers in the United States. So no, you are definitely NOT crazy! It is also probably one of the least understood careers, sometimes even by those who are in it. Fundraising as a Career: What, Are You Crazy? was written to enlighten anyone who wonders about a career in fundraising, wants to advance in their mid-stream fundraising career, or hire a development person onto staff.
Fundraising is one of the hottest careers in the United States. So no, you are definitely NOT crazy! It is also probably one of the least understood careers, sometimes even by those who are in it. Fundraising as a Career: What, Are You Crazy? was written to enlighten anyone who wonders about a career in fundraising, wants to advance in their mid-stream fundraising career, or hire a development person onto staff:
- If you are interested in starting a fundraising career in the nonprofit world, Fundraising as a Career: What, Are You Crazy? gives you an insider's view that will equip you for success. Linda Lysakowski helps you examine the many possibilities in the field of development and assess whether you have the right skills, personality, and enthusiasm for the job.
- The book is not just for those starting a career in fundraising. It's also essential for those already in the career. If this is you, it will help you increase your chances of promotion, diversify your skills and talents, and find career satisfaction.
- Nonprofit employers looking to hire a development staff person, and wondering how do you find the right person, will find Fundraising as a Career immensely helpful. The book outlines the qualities to look for in a development person and how to invest in development in order to reap the rewards of a strong development office.
In Fundraising as a Career: What, Are Your Crazy? you will find:
- A list of the qualities that make a successful fundraiser
- Options for expanding your horizons be becoming a generalist or a specialist in one of the many areas of fundraising
- Help setting career goals for yourself
- Hints for getting ahead in this profession
- Help deciding when it’s time to move on--to a better position in another organization, to a higher level within your organization, into consulting, or leaving the profession altogether.
About the Author
Linda Lysakowski is one of approximately one hundred professionals worldwide to hold the Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive designation. Linda had an eleven-year career in banking before entering the nonprofit world. With more than thirty years in the development field, she worked for a university and a museum before starting her own consulting firm. In her twenty-five years as a philanthropic consultant, Linda has managed capital campaigns that have raised more than $50 million, helped hundreds of nonprofit organizations achieve their development goals, and trained more than forty thousand development professionals in Canada, Mexico, Egypt, Bermuda, and most of the fifty United States.
A graduate of Alvernia University with majors in Banking and Finance, Theology/Philosophy, and a minor in Communications. As a graduate of AFP’s Faculty Training Academy, she is a Master Teacher.
Linda is the author of Recruiting and Training Fundraising Volunteers, The Development Plan, Fundraising as a Career: What, Are You Crazy?, Capital Campaigns: Everything You NEED to Know, Are You Ready for a Capital Campaign workbook, Raise More Money from Your Business Community, Raise More Money from Your Business Community—The Workbook, Fundraising for the GENIUS, 1st and 2nd editions, The Matriarch (a novel) and The Face of Jesus.
She is also coauthor of The Essential Nonprofit Fundraising Handbook, The Leaky Bucket: What’s Wrong with Your Fundraising…And How You Can Fix It, The New Donor, Nonprofit Strategic Planning, Quick Guide to Developing Your Case for Support, Quick Guide to Creating Your Development Plan, and Board Bound Leadership. She is also a contributing author to The Fundraising Feasibility Study—It’s Not About the Money, YOU and Your Nonprofit Board, and co-editor of The Nonprofit Consulting Playbook and YOU and Your Nonprofit.
Linda served on the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy board for two terms and on the Professional Advancement Division for AFP, and is past president of the Eastern PA and Sierra (NV) AFP chapters. She has received the Outstanding Fundraiser of the Year award from the Eastern PA, Las Vegas, and Sierra (NV) chapters of AFP, was honored with the Barbara Marion Award for Outstanding Service to AFP, and received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Las Vegas AFP Chapter.